11/26/2007

First Snowfall

We had our first snowfall of the season tonight. I discovered it as I was calling the family to the supper table (it was raining earlier, so I thought we may get a little ice overnight, but I wasn't expecting snow this early). As of the posting (it's probably been snowing for almost an hour and a half), we've got about an inch or so (2.5 cm).

After supper (well, after we got Anders to try some of his food), we went out for a quick play in it. Anders did some sledding down the small rise behind our house in a make-sift sled (Rubbermaid tote). Nils came and joined us for his first romp in snow--he wasn't sure what to think. He did a ride with Anders in the "sled." We're taking advantage of it while we can--most likely it will be gone by mid-day tomorrow.

I love nice, gentle snowfalls with big flakes--especially at this time of year as we enter the Advent Season. I know that it was probably spring when Jesus was born and not winter (the shepherds were probably out during lambing season); but after growing up in the Midwest, snow helps make it feel like Christmas (I'd have a terrible time living in the South).

But snow, as Isaiah says, reminds us of how white Jesus will cleanse our dirty rag of a soul from sin. And a gentle snowfall is a fitting reminder of how God chose to enter the world--quietly, unobtrusively as a newborn baby, out of the way in a feed trough. And for some reason, the snowfall makes everything feel peaceful--which is why Jesus came: to bring peace back to a fallen, chaotic world.

2 comments:

Alaina Beth said...

Dave,

I feel the same way about snow. You've gotten more snow than we have here in Decorah! But I love the peacefulness and tranquility of snowfall in December. Have a wonderful Advent!

Alaina

Jane D. said...

I don't know how I'd survive without both you and Beth's blogs! It's like catching up when I've been away from the web for a while and get caught up! I miss you guys so much but LOVE to know how God is working in your lives there! Give the boys hugs and kisses from Auntie Jane...and you and Beth give each other a hug from me too. Wish I could say I was on my way over for a meal with you!