2/03/2008

Super Bowl

The National Anthem is being sung as I type this (it's odd having kickoff be at 3:30 while it's still light out). It actually has a touch of nostalgia right now--I think it's the first time we've heard The Star-Spangled Banner since we've been here. And I don't know who the singer is, but she's doing a nice job (not a show-off type).

I honestly didn't know that the Super Bowl was going on until I was in the Sea-Tac airport last Monday (of course, it's always this time of year, so I knew it was coming). I knew the Packers were in the final four of course. But it's still hockey season up here, so I haven't seen much NFL coverage--not that I go looking for much of it--especially when it is still hockey season :) You know me well enough to know that I'm not fanatical about sports--but I have my moments where I enjoy them (I'm more about playing than watching).

The Super Bowl was always more about community for us than the game. We'd often be at someone's house. We had a few people over for lunch after church, but they didn't stay all the way through. Nate and Johanna might stop by later after getting some wedding preparations done. We're hoping they do; we enjoy their company, but they might also bring bratwurst to grill out (we've got ulterior motives, I guess). But hey, the Super Bowl isn't just about the game, now is it?

1 comment:

Jane D. said...

We missed you at the Super Bowl party here last night as it seems like we've done plenty of watching it together over the years. We were at Pat & Mary Sturzes with TOTAL and the church couples group. Good food and good company and close game too!