5/23/2013

Bad Places

It's my birthday coming up soon. At the same time, I'm reminded by a former classmate that today is our 20th anniversary of our high school graduation. A lot of things have happened since then.

But I'm feeling down on myself. I'm reminded of things in my life I haven't done well. Mistakes I've made. Issues I let take root rather than pulling them out of my life. Plenty of things I'm not proud of. People I've hurt.

And I have this tendency to look at the bad things in my life and feel like I'm a bad person. Never mind the good I've done--that doesn't balance out in my mind. At least when I'm in this frame of thinking. Of course, that path of thinking keeps me in a bad place. But I'm seldom rational enough to make myself realize that it's not helpful.

Thankfully, I've been reminded by others that though I may do bad things at times, I'm not a bad person. I'm a sinner, but I'm also saved by grace. I've turned away from God at times, but I am His beloved. No matter what I do.

I don't think I'm the only one who gets in these bad places. So may my remembering remind you: God loves you (me).

And may that reminder spur us on to do good. We are more than our past. We are more than our present. We have a future with God. We have His Spirit in us who empowers us to do great things.

So, that's what I'm going to try and keep before me: I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. I am a piece of craftsmanship created to do good things.

Amen.

No comments: