3/01/2008

Now Appendix-Free

Last Monday (after 4-days of ignoring what turned out to be appendicitis) we visited my family physician who sent me to the emergency room for a CT or ultrasound. Once I finally got that done, I was taken to surgery in a pretty quick amount of time. Not long later, I was appendix-less (it had apparently burst sometime over the weekend, so I was in for a little longer recovery).

After several days of recovery, and lots of prayers by my friends out there, I was allowed home on Friday afternoon. So I got some sleep in a familiar bed last night and and resting well.

Overall, the Canadian health care system took good care of me. I'm not sure if the differences I noticed were specific to Canadian health care, or just to big-city hospitals (I don't have a lot of hospital experience in the US, but it was mostly small towns). I was placed in a room with 3 other people (all of whom were women). I was well taken care of, but didn't get a lot of attention because the nurses had several patients to look over (they did their jobs remarkably, though). My surgeon as well as my family physician checked in every day. TV and phone for my bed were an extra charge. Thankfully, I won't have to go through that again.

That's about all to say for now--I need to rest some more. Thanks again for your prayers.

2 comments:

Alaina Beth said...

Dave,

Just glad to hear you are okay. I have never heard good things about appendix rupturing. We can't wait to see you in 7 days!

Jane D. said...

Welcome back to the on-line world! It's good to hear from you after praying soooo much for you! Continuing to pray as you finish your recovery!