7/29/2008

Loving & Forgiving

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you." - C.S. Lewis

Sometimes the person I have the most difficulty forgiving is myself. I think we sometimes get too focused on loving others that we forget about ourselves (of course, we also swing to the other extreme of loving only ourselves and becoming self-indulgent). We must find a balance in the middle grounds. We our called to love God first. Then to love others. But we are to love others as we love ourselves. We can't love God and love other people if we're not taking care of ourselves (meeting our real needs: addressing our emotions, taking care of our body, dealing with our wounds). We also can't forgive others and receive God's forgiveness if we can't forgive ourselves. Well maybe you can, but I'm not sure I can.

No comments: