8/09/2008

The World Unites

My parents are in town, so they took us out for supper. Afterward, we went home and caught some of the opening ceremonies of the Olympics. The Olympics is one of the few sporting events that I try to always catch. I love the lessons in culture and world history that you get through the games (especially the opening ceremonies). I love how all cultures come together. It was great to see the Chinese cheering for Chinese Taipei (Taiwan), Japan and France--political histories and feelings are put aside for the games. And for the most part the players aren't there for money or marketing; they're there for the games and for there team. I also love to cheer for the underdog--the little island nation or African country that can't afford all the special gear or training that US athletes receive--especially the nations that have never won a medal before.

No comments: