4/22/2009

Earth Day or Creation Care

My facebook status for today says, "I wonder if we subdued the earth the same way we subdued the economy. I'm just wondering--not making a political statement or anything like that." Maybe I'm just passive-aggressively trying to ruffle some feathers.

That being said, Earth Day is not a holiday I celebrate. The boys and I might bike over to the Nature Center this weekend for some of their activities, but otherwise I'm not really doing anything different today because it's Earth Day.

I do however, believe that we must be responsible with the earth (just like with our lives, our marriages, our kids, our spiritual gift and everything else that God has given us. Responsibility, like obedience, tends to be a biblical theme in my belief). I think far too many Christians in particular have neglected creation care, hiding their abuse of the earth behind the excuse of not wanting to be a pagan earth-goddess worshipper.
I believe, however, that creation care was one of the first commands God gave humanity:
God spoke: "Let Us make human beings in Our image, make them reflecting Our nature
So they can be responsible for the fish in the sea, the birds in the air, the cattle,
And, yes, Earth itself, and every animal that moves on the face of Earth."

God created human beings; He created them godlike,
Reflecting God's nature. He created them male and female.
God blessed them: "Prosper! Reproduce! Fill Earth! Take charge!
Be responsible for fish in the sea and birds in the air, for every living thing that moves on the face of Earth."
(Genesis 1:26-28, The Message)
Many translations have told us to subdue the earth and have dominion over it. The problem is that we've misused those words to give us free reign to do whatever we want with the earth. But subdue and having dominion both have elements of caring for. If a ruler has dominion over a land, he cares for his subjects--otherwise he is a tyrant.
I do believe God gave us the earth for us to use and enjoy its resources. But I also believe that we must be careful in doing so in order for us to keep things in good condition for future generations. I think we've also largely overlooked how taking care of creation is a soul issue for us as well. God placed us in a perfect garden at the dawn of time; we lost that when we sinned. There is a connection between us and our environment. And what we do in our own little corner of our neighborhood does have ramifications for others around the globe. Plus, God gave it to us. What right do we have to abuse our gifts from Him?

So, while I'm not going to be perfectly "green" or "environmental" in everything I do, I am going to pay attention to His creation around me and take care of it as best I can. Because I do enjoy the beauty of creation and I want my kids and their kids to be able to enjoy it as well.

1 comment:

Alaina Beth said...

Mmm-hmm. (She said, nodding and agreeing with everything you said.)

:)