4/06/2010

Each Day A Resurrection Day

Two days ago we celebrated Easter. The boys and I were in Iowa for it; Beth was in the Twin Cities and got to celebrate with some friends from church.

The community I grew up in has a tradition of the youth from all the churches putting on a sunrise service. At 6:30 in the morning. Yes, you read that time correctly. Following that, the host church puts on a breakfast (my siblings who were home and I helped them make enough French Toast to feed 200 people the day before). Then each church does their regular service.

It makes for a long day, but it's a good tradition in many ways. After all, if Christ can go to the cross for us, I can get up a little early to celebrate His resurrection. The symbolism of going to church in the dark after Good Friday and having the sun rise during worship on Resurrection Sunday is very cool as well.

One of my third cousins, a college student, spoke at the sunrise service. She did a nice job--I was impressed. Her message got me thinking about how pointless Resurrection Sunday is if we only are affected by it on Easter.

Jesus' resurrection must be something that transforms and effects us everyday. If we only take note of His death and resurrection one day each year, we make a mockery of everything He went through. The more I think about it, the more I am convinced that resurrection needs to be a focal point of each day of our lives (and I admit I've been terrible at this).

We need to be daily transformed by Christ's life and His Spirit, especially in light of His death and resurrection. His crucifixion should give us cause to avoid sinful actions, and instead revel in His love for us. His resurrection should give us cause to live in hope and share that Good News with others.

On the church calendar, we are in "Eastertide" for 50 days until Pentecost. I write this as a reminder to me to not let Easter be removed from my life already as the decorations in department stores have been, but to let it take root in my life each day. May the mystery of that event bless your days as well.

No comments: