12/16/2003

5 days until more sun

I miss the sun in the evenings. It gets dark by 5 p.m. I know that in Iowa we don't have it terribly bad. Geographically speaking, more of North America is north of our parallel. I often wonder how I would handle a North Alaska or Sweden winter. Of course, too much darkness is at least a chance for rest. Long days of sunshine just keep you going . . .

The wind was blowing hard today. And apparently we had a bit of wet precipitation last night--at least enough to create a layer of ice on the snow on the roads. Biking to work was fairly easy this morning--the wind was at my back. However, there were a couple of times when I hit a patch of ice and found myself riding perpendicular to the route I was taking at a 45 degree angle. Shortly after, I found myself (and my bike) sliding along the ground. I'm sure it would have been a sight to see. Unfortunately, no human eyes were around to witness my traveling adventure.

I'm praying that the wind has stopped or even changed directions. As I look outside to try to gauge it, it's too dark to even tell. Bring on the solstice!

No comments: