12/23/2007

4th Sunday in Advent

Anders is excited about today. We got to light four candles on our advent wreath--that means there's just one left: the Christ candle. Today's candle is the angel candle (not to be confused with the notorious angle candle). So we lit the Prophecy Candle (hope), the Bethlehem Candle (love), the Shepherd's Candle (joy), and the Angel's Candle (peace).

Anders is still singing his song from the Christmas Cantata last week. "Peace on earth; good will to men. Jesus is born in a Bethlehem" (hear it with a slight Caribbean beat). Last week we were invited over to some friends' house for supper. They asked us to read the Christmas story to their 2-year old. Anders likes to fill in what the angel's say with the lyrics from his song.

What good tidings (of great joy!): peace on earth, good will to all people. We've got a long ways to go to truly experience that, don't we? But I don't think God meant us to wait until He returns to straighten things out and bring peace to this war-torn world. I think He means for us to be instruments of peace as well ("Blessed are the peace-makers"). I think I'm off the hook because I'm not out there fighting or causing unrest; but I'm not making peace and I'm definitely not trying to stop wars. And those are good things to be about. But I guess I can also start simple and ask how am I bringing peace to those around me. And I think that can only be done by bringing them Jesus--in whatever way is needed (a helping hand, some food, a kind word, or even the gospel itself).

The wait of Advent is almost over. Christmas is soon upon us! May the coming of the King fill your hearts in new and wonderful ways this season.

No comments: