12/11/2007

Final Harvest

I pulled in the final harvest of the year from my "garden" tonight (I needed carrots for supper). There wasn't really a garden--just a few containers here and there. And there wasn't really a harvest. Other than a few odd herbs, carrots were the main crop (I did have a random, unplanted tomato plant that sprung up in early summer; the tomatoes were still going well at the beginning of November, but of course they didn't make it through subsequent frosts). That's one of my issues with living where we live--there's no space for a garden. I love to be a part of that creation process that has been going on since Day 3. There's something about working the soil, sowing seeds, tending the spot and then being able to watch God at work as the plants grow. Of course, harvest brings great satisfaction (though eating fresh non-mass-produced produce is the best part). I did have to break the frozen ground off from around the carrots, but the greens were still looking pretty good.

No comments: