4/19/2008

I Now Own a Cell Phone

This may not be a big deal for the majority of you. But I've never owned one before. And I've never wanted to own one. I didn't want to be available all the time--I like being able to go out in creation and not be a slave to the phone (I know, I know, I can turn it off or not take it with me). I never wanted to become one of those people who are tied to their cell phone all the time (which, I still won't). And I'll definitely never become one of those Borg people who have the implants connected to their head.

Which begs the question, why'd I get one then. For the following reasons:
1. Beth and I were going to get walkie-talkies for our drive to Minnesota in separate vehicles. We figured that we'll be getting cell phones in Minnesota, most likely, so this would kill two birds with one stone.
2. I've learnt (according to my spell-check, that's the Canadian version of learned) in recovery that I need to avoid isolation; I've keept myself private for too long. So, I decided to suck it up and get a phone so that people can reach me. And so I can be reached. So that will give you permission to call me specifically when the phone is up and running. I need that.
3. It's part of the intrigue of me.

With that said, our phones won't be answered until the very end of the month, once we leave Canada and start travelling across the US.
News items in this post may surprise some of you. If you haven't heard what's going on in our life, feel free to email me and I'll keep you updated.

3 comments:

Jane D. said...

I personally love my cell phone...it's just plain practical for my life. I love your perspective on yours and look forward to you both having them! Praying for you!

Alaina Beth said...

I am the same way in some senses. I abhor people thinking that because I have a cell phone then they should be able to contact me anytime and then get mad at me when I don't answer or call back right away. It's like email - I dislike feeling as though I am supposed to be responding right away to be a good person. But I have a cell phone, because it is cheaper for us than having a land line - and now we can talk to each other for free. What do you do?

Anonymous said...

Ahem, "Resistance is futile"

:)


I'll email to ask you what your plans are like.