10/29/2008

Near the End of the Political Season

One of our fine state's politicians has been taking some heat after an interview on MSNBC's Hardball with Chris Matthews (which I happened to actually catch some of while we were up North a few weeks ago). I am very independent voter--I'm not tied to any party in any way--so I don't say this with political bias. Her problem was that she went on a rant about all liberals being anti-American.

I mention this because the candidate has run a commercial which has been on several times tonight and it bothers me every time. She's been trying to correct her image with the commercial which shows her being nice and homey and conversational with the viewer. At the end she says something along the lines of, "I may not always get my words right, but I know that my heart is right because my heart is for you."

Now to me it's one thing to say the wrong thing--to use a wrong word or something like that. But clearly making an argument for your point isn't the same as getting words wrong in my book. Jesus said, "For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks" (Matthew 12:34 NIV). What we say is closely tied to what we think and believe.

Many politicians try to divorce themselves from their beliefs or their character. It can't be done, though. If you're going to make a bunch of promises to me to entice me to vote for you, then I need to know that I can trust you to follow through on those. Maybe that's just me, but that's how I vote.


On a lighter political note, Anders decided whom he hopes becomes president today: the younger of the two candidates. Age, apparently, is his main political platform.

No comments: