5/03/2010

Communion

Yesterday I had the privilege of being one of the communion servers at church. I love being a part of Eucharist--whether I've led it as a minister or serving as a laity. Those hands-on, sensory parts of worship seem to connect with people more than usual.

I enjoy getting to serve at our church because as the people walk through and take their wafer (personally, I dislike the wafer, but I understand the ease of using them in a big church) and I say to each one, "The body of Christ broken for you," I am reminded of God's great love for us. Each person who walks by is made in God's image, yet each one is completely different than the one before them. And God loves them each so much that He lived among us and died an horrific death for them. His body was broken. His blood was shed. And it was done for each of those people--young and old, black and white, rich and poor--who passed before me to participate in that sacred re-enactment of Christ's love.

It is humbling. It is joyous. It is solemn. It reminds me of who I am before God. I pray it never becomes something that I just go through the motions in doing--"not because we must, but because we may" as one of the words of institution in the Covenant Book of Worship reads.

No comments: