5/07/2010

Treasure Them in Your Heart

When Anders was young, probably around two or two-and-a-half or so, we had the other volunteer youth group leaders at Pomeroy Covenant Church over at our house in Iowa (I remember at least Pastor Karl & Cindy, Jane DeVries and Beth and myself). We were praying for the year ahead, for the students, for guidance and so forth. We were all gathered in our living room. Anders sat on the floor in the room with toys scattered before him.

As we each took turns praying, Anders would sit and pray as well. He did so by looking around the room and thanking God for everything he saw--each little toy. I think he believed that one of us would pray and it would all be done (as at mealtime), but as we each took turns praying, Anders paused and started all over again. It was at least 10 to 15 minutes of praying.

Luke ends his narrative of the visit of the Magi by saying, "But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart" (Luke 2:19). There are plenty of those moments from my children's lives that I hope I remember to continue pondering them for the years ahead.

No comments: