5/25/2009

In Memorium

While we were in Des Moines for the weekend, we took my grandmother to the cemetery where her husband (a WWII Veteran) and several other members of her family are buried. We all got involved with planting flowers and cleaning the headstones. It was nice to spend a holiday weekend observing what the holiday was created for in some way (usually we've been at camp on Memorial Day weekend). I never knew my grandfather--he died before my parents were married. I did know my great-aunt and my great-grandmother whose graves we at as well. The boys did really well being there (we were there for a while). They did pull out a few flags and pinwheels from sties, but I think they enjoyed being with their great-grandmother and having all of us work together. They may not remember it as they grow older, but I think they're growing a sense of family.



No comments: