2/11/2010

Blizzards & Global Warming

I read an article today addressing a lot of recent questions about how we can have such brutal winters if we're going through global warming.

There are a lot of views on the validity of global warming--but not enough open mindedness. I haven't studied the issue in enough depth to have a good argument either way. I do think there are noticeable changes (such as disappearing glaciers); I'm also not sure that just over a century of statistics is enough data to tell us what the norm actually is (there was scientific evidence in the 1970s that the climate was cooling).

The first command God ever gave humans is not about worship or obedience. "God blessed them and said to them, 'Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground' (Genesis 1:28)." This verse follows on the cusp of God creating man and woman "in His image" (1:26).

For us to understand how we are to "subdue" and "rule over" creation, we should look at how God subdues and rules over. As I see it, He does so with a lot of stewardship, care and, dare I say, love (and I think it's safe to say that God shows how to love without it becoming worship).

So, without being fanatical, I do try and keep this place lookin' good. I'm guilty of plenty of transgressions, I admit. But I do try to take steps (like picking up litter and being more energy efficient) to be a little "greener."

Either way--whether global warming is a farce or not--I'm still going to try and keep things nice around here. I hate kayaking in a lake with trash floating in it; I dislike hiking in a nice forest and seeing trash on the trail. I believe God's creation is amazing and I'd like others to see that as well.

No comments: