5/01/2007

We're West Coasters

This is a few days old, but it's worth sharing (maybe not, but I'm going to anyway). Last Saturday Beth had a friend over from Australia (he happened to be in Surrey doing some conferences). He got dropped off for lunch as after he got picked up from the ferry. Anyway, we didn't have a lot of meat in the house (beef and poultry especially are quite expensive here), but we happened to have some white fish and a salmon fillet and some salmon steaks. Now, neither of us are fish eaters. Really, not at all. But we thought we'd give it a try. So I fired up the grill and had my first attempt at grilling fish. And we actually didn't mind them too much. There's a big difference between ocean and lake/river fish (at least that's my theorem, which I've heard out there). It must be the salt-water instead of fresh-water (which, I think "fresh" should be used loosely in many cases). I'm sure the desperate could make some parallel with being the salt of the earth or "I will make you fishers of men." But I'm not going to do that. This news can stand on its own. Don't worry, we're not going to go out and buy any fish (unless you're coming to visit us and really want some Pacific seafood--which we'll do it, just for you), but we enjoyed it. Somewhat. So, we're West Coasters. Now to just try skim-boarding (we're sheltered on the bay, so there's not much surfboarding here).

3 comments:

Jane D. said...

So sad that you don't like salmon! I'm craving it right now and it's all your fault! =)

Unknown said...

Oh Jane... hahaha

Beth said...

What really makes us West Coasters is that we ate the leftover fish. ;-)