5/22/2008

In Bloom

This morning we decided to do an impromptu picnic at Como Park again. We thought we'd hit there on an off day during the week and before the upcoming holiday weekend to avoid the crowds. Little did we know that every school district in the area would have at least one grade level there. And I know there are tons more parks to explore in this area--but we know the boys would have a good time.

The pictures were all taken by Beth today, so I'm using hers (I usually try to use mine to avoid plagiarism)--the camera battery was also almost dead, so we didn't get a whole lot.

This time, we focused our time mainly at the conservatory. We did get in on a story time at the zoo first, which Anders enjoyed. And after we finished at the Conservatory, we walked through a little of the zoo and saw some primates, bison, African ungulates and big cats. But for the bulk of our time there we enjoyed ferns, flowers and the Japanese garden. Anders loved looking at the koi in the pool.

Which also makes me miss gardening. I have a few containers that I need to get some soil for, but we also don't have much space inside for plants. But I love taking a seed, covering it in soil, nurturing it and watching it grow into something bigger (I think what I enjoy is that connection to our Creator that it brings about). I enjoy the tranquility that plants bring to a room. I enjoy the oxygen they produce. And I love to grow plants that produce fruit or herbal flavorings. Beth picked me up a succulent today on her way back from the grocery store. It's a good start.

2 comments:

Jane D. said...

I so wish I could love and appreciate plants/gardens in that same way cuz what you say makes sense. Sue Radosti and I were just talking about the same thing. I appreciate looking at them...but I wish I enjoyed caring for them....

Alaina Beth said...

I love how you usually only use your pictures to avoid plagiarism. :) I never think that using my spouses stuff is plagiarism...maybe I should rethink some things...

In all honesty, though, I totally agree about plants. There is something just amazing about being a part of creation of actual things that can feed yourself. That may only make sense to me...oh well!

Oh, and I LOVED your last post about anger. God knows anyway, so why have we all been taught that we can't tell God how we feel?