5/20/2008

In Your Anger Do Not Sin

Last night in group, we talked a bit about anger. Dr. Laaser suggested to one of the guys to write a letter to God, addressing his anger to God around the situation he was in. Some of us, including this guy, tend to feel that it's a sin to be angry at God.

Dr. Laaser brought up this theory (I think I'm remembering the essence of it, at least): Sin is anything that distances us from God. In not addressing your feelings toward God, you are distancing yourself from Him. Therefore, it is more sinful not to share your anger at God than to be angry at Him.

It's hard to be upfront with God about how we feel--especially our feelings toward Him if they're anything less than good. But to move toward intimacy with God, as in any relationship, we must be honest with our emotions (so I've learned). David and the other psalmists were brutally honest about their emotions at times. So were Abraham and Moses. So that's one of my lessons on my journey right now. So, I think I'll go write God a letter.

1 comment:

Jane D. said...

I appreciate your realness and openness friend. May God carry you on this journey moment by moment.