5/31/2008

The Storm

We had a good, old-fashioned Midwestern storm blow through tonight. Right after we had gotten back from the park and were getting ready to sit down for supper, we heard the sirens go off. We looked outside & it was blue skies, so we turned on the TV and it said that our county was under a Tornado Warning. The radar showed the system (I don't think anything touched down) north of us--up near where my sister lives (it missed her). Shortly after that the wind came up and it started hailing.This is during the hail. It was all white & green (from falling leaves).
This is afterward--you can see quite a bit of hail on the ground.
That's a chunk on the air conditioner outside our window. It was some of the biggest hail I've seen--golf ball sized, easily.
Here's some pieces I picked up over an hour after they fell--still pretty good sized. I walked outside 2 hours afterward, and there were still big piles on the ground with pieces that were as big as a quarter.

I know I was scared of storms when I was young, but I've liked watching them for a while. They're cool to watch (as long as no one gets hurt). And to me they really show God's power--and remind that He's the one in control. The past week has had its ups and downs. There have been times when we've wondered why God brought us here to have to wait so long for income. We've had points of wondering if we did the right thing in the move. Sometime there are storms in life. And we need those reminders that God is in control--if we let Him be.

1 comment:

Jane D. said...

Wow! I didn't catch when we talked that it had been that bad! God's power is amazing for sure.